Monday, April 28, 2014

Take a Shot For Me


It's all coming to an end. I regret to inform you that this will be our last moments together. But let's not make it any more devastating than it already is. My twelfth and final blog post will be about the unparalleled night life in Koreatown, Los Angeles. As you guys may know by now, I studied abroad in Seoul, South Korea last year for an exchange program. And sure, there were the communication barriers and the differences in fashion, but the biggest cultural shock for me was the night life. The university I attended was located in the heart of a college village teeming with bars, restaurants, and coffee shops. And they were all open 24 hours! I quickly discovered that Seoul was definitely a city that never sleeps. Students would go out to grab a drink on a Monday night. Let me repeat: MONDAY NIGHT. That would be insane back in America, where college students primarily started going out from Thursday all the way to the weekend. The drinking culture was definitely no joke in Korea.

Now back to Koreatown, Los Angeles. Although not everything here is open 24 hours, there are still a considerable amount of bars, cafes, and restaurants that do open until late. For those of you over 21, I strongly suggest that you take a trip to a sool jip (literal translation: alcohol house), which is the korean word for what we all know as "Bar." The bars in Koreatown offer a very unique experience in that you get to sit down with your group of friends and order food while drinking! Soju and beer are the way to go when drinking at these bars. And although soju is weaker in alcohol content than vodka, it will definitely start to creep up on you as the night progresses. With loud music and great Korean food, I assure you that you and your friends will have an unforgettable night. Well, maybe ;-) 

Well, that's it for my blog posts. I hope you guys enjoyed them, and if I don't bump into any of you in Koreatown soon, I will have failed as a blogger. So come on down! ^_^

Your Seoul Survivor,
Albert Ko

No comments:

Post a Comment