Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Koreatown: Lights, Camera, Action!

The world of cinema has always been fascinating and intriguing to me. Films make us cry, laugh, smile, shout, scream, tremble, and much more. They also expose us to different countries and cultures all over the world. Since I do not have the time or money to travel to all these countries as a full time college student, I choose to watch these countries' movies instead. I am interested in learning about Korean culture in particular because I am a Korean American; I want to know the similarities and differences between my upbringing and the upbringing my parents had. Then I found out about CGV

PC: CGV Cinemas Los Angeles Google Plus Website

WHAT. A. GREAT. THEATER. Seeing as it is the biggest movie theater chain in Korea and the fifth largest theater chain in the world, of course they saw fit to place one of their theaters right in Koreatown, Los Angeles which is located just a couple miles outside of HOLLYWOOD. I remember going to a CGV theater while I was studying abroad in Korea. And it was a cool experience. All the American Hollywood movies were shown with Korean subtitles for all of the Koreans to comfortably view (without trying to translate the limited English they knew). The CGV in Los Angeles shows both Hollywood movies and Korean movies, and just like the CGV in Korea, they provide Korean subtitles for the American movies. But most importantly, they provide ENGLISH SUBTITLES for the Korean movies shown for all the Americans/Korean-Americans to comfortably view (without trying to translate the VERY limited Korean I know). What a great service! Now I don't have to watch Korean movies on my 16-inch laptop screen. I can finally watch them in the IMAX form they were meant to be viewed in! Even the concessions stand was very comparable to the one in South Korea, right down to the sweet caramel popcorn and fried shrimp/squid snacks. I also find Korean movie theater seats to be much nicer than those at American theaters. Ever wonder about Korean culture and don't want to pick up a textbook? Come down to CGV Cinemas, where you don't have to understand a single word of Korean. Just come ready to watch some great acting, directing, and effects!

Your Seoul Survivor,
Albert Ko

No comments:

Post a Comment