Sunday, February 9, 2014

Korean American Idol


Taken with my iPhone
Monday through Thursday, I am Albert Ko; I wake up every morning, go to work, and then make my way to class in the evenings. Friday or Saturday, however, I am a mix between Ne-Yo and Eminem. Calling Koreatown my home comes with the luxury of living close to this thing called No-Rae-Bang ("Song Room" is the literal translation). Some of you might be more familiar with the term "karaoke." And because I live right down the street from one, I find myself serenading my friends well into the night on many occasions. These NRB's are special in the sense that the second your group walks into their own personal room, every form of judging or criticizing is prohibited until the night is over. Once you're in that room, you are free to get your N Sync, Michael Jackson, Beatles, or Whitney Houston on!


Taken with my iPhone
The handy dandy remote control will have your thumbs racing to find that next song, with genres ranging from K-pop to Disney songs to Gangster Rap. Just search the title or artist of your desired song and click the "reserve" button! For those of you who play by the book, a thick encyclopedia-style songbook is provided with songs listed alphabetically. What if you can't hit those high notes? Honestly, I am as tone deaf as it gets. Here's a personal tip that has guided me to greatness: a little liquid confidence never hurt me, just so long as it is done responsibly. Most NRB's provide food and beverages, so feel free to order some beers whenever you need that X-factor. Then even Simon Cowell won't have anything to nag at.

Your Seoul Survivor,
Albert Ko

No comments:

Post a Comment